Friday, June 18, 2010

Manhattan



Well I though I'd start with my favourite version of this classic drink. Sebastian Reaburn, a Melbourne-based bartender, adds some maraschino cherry syrup to this which subtly makes this a remarkable drink.
His recipe, with the brands I used, goes like this:

  • 1.5 shots Jim Beam Rye whiskey
  • 0.5 shot Cinzano sweet red vermouth
  • dash Angostura bitters
  • dash Regan's Orange bitters
  • 1 tsp maraschino cherry syrup

Photo: Phil

Stir with ice in a mixing glass until cold and strain into a chilled martini glass or champagne saucer.

Garnish with a maraschino cherry and flame an orange peel over it (discard the peel).

Despite being a whiskey lover myself, I think that the teaspoon of sweet syrup just cuts the dryness a bit to smoothen out this cocktail. It's hard to explain the taste of this one - essentially a spiced, sweetened whiskey flavour with underlying burnt orange notes. Certainly strong tasting - best to try it if you like whiskey!
I realise that Jim Beam isn't the best rye whiskey, but there doesn't seem to be much else available around here. I even had to get the orange bitters delivered from America, although the drink does not deteriorate without them too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment